Happy Earth Day! To celebrate Earth Day (April 22, 2017), we’ve changed our logo to blue color. Earth Day is a special day to show Mother Earth some love.
What can we do to make Earth a “greener” place to live? We should start at home. Home is where we spend most of our time.
Here’re three things that could make our home a healthier and smarter place to live.
Save Water And Energy
1. According to Conserveh2o.gov, older toilet can use up to 7 gallons of water per flush. On the other hand, a high efficiency toilet uses less than 1.6 gallons of water.
Using a high efficiency toilet definitely saves a lot of water. Also, avoid flushing tissues and toilet papers in the toilet – they can be disposed in a garbage bin.
2. Use low flow faucet aerators and shower heads. This Gizmodo post said they are easy to install and can save thousands of gallons of water per year.
Shower time counts too. The more time you spend in the shower, the more water you use. Start taking a shorter shower to save water. Get a shower timer or download a shower time app to help you better manage shower time and water usage.
3. Switch to Energy Star washer, dryer, and dishwasher. Energy Star washer uses about 25% less energy and 40% less water than standard washers.
Energy Star dryers use sensor drying technology to reduce energy by about 20%.
Further, use cold water and air dry settings could significantly reduce energy consumption.
4. Use Energy Star LED bulbs instead of traditional bulbs. Changing to energy-efficient bulbs saves 25% – 80% energy and lasts 3 – 5 times longer, according to Energy.gov.
5. Shop for items that reduces cleaning time. Washing washcloths, hand towels, bath towels, and bath mats takes up a good two hours.
Look for washcloths and towels that labelled quick dry to reduce laundering time.
Better yet, use Smartcatcher Mats instead of traditional bath mats. Place Smartcatcher Mats in front of your bathtub or shower to catch water and spills. The mat would air dry itself quickly.
Use Eco-Friendly Products
Clean your home with non-toxic, eco-friendly products. Some of our favorite green cleaning products include:
1. Method Dish Soap Ocean Wave
2. Seventh Generation™ Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent
3. CleanWell Botanical Disinfectant Bathroom Cleaner
Reduce volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in your home. VOCs are emitted as gases and if inhaled, they could cause negative health impact.
1. Paint your walls with Harmony Paint from Sherwin-Williams. The paint contains zero VOCs and is long lasting.
It also has a antimicrobial agents that resist the growth of mold and mildew. Ideal for painting the bathroom walls.
2. Avoid rubber backing carpets, rugs, and mats. For carpets and rugs, use felt padding instead.
For mats, use floor mats that are made from polypropylene such as the Smartcatcher Mats. The Smartcatcher Mats do not emit strong odor that could cause discomfort and allergic reaction.
Sherwin Williams – Harmony Interior Acrylic Latex
Smartcatcher Mats Color Splash Baby Blue
By making every day Earth Day, we are saving Earth’s resources and benefiting ourselves. What changes did you make this Earth Day?